Sunday, December 28, 2008

Holiday Hangover

We made it back home after nearly a week of travel to multiple Christmas celebrations, mainly in the sandhills, around the state. Its good to be back home, our home. Back to work tomorrow for me, as Roo will most likely spend the day getting everything in the house back in order...and catching up on the DVR. Not sure I am ready to fall back into the routine, though luckily a short and broken work week will not afford that routine to settle just yet. I am fairly certain that I am ready to return to eating normal amounts of food each day. Riley's family, unbeknownst to them, spoils me with food. Every meal is a mouth-watering feast. The fact that Riley can make just about anything had over the holidays makes my mouth water a little more. I hope to learn to smoke some meat, as we were treated to a deliciously smoked spread from my step-brother Mike Thursday night. Max and Kennedy also feasted on more table scraps than usual this week, but all in all, I believe they are ready to get back to the normal swing of things. The trash man comes tomorrow, as he does every Monday, and he will find a bin full of bows and ribbon, boxes and paper scraps. But these hardly tell the true tale of 2008's Christmas. It will be the first of many for Roo and I as husband and wife and it will be memorable for many reasons: I read a book in less than 24 hours, a first in the history of me (sure its Twilight and written on the level of an 8th grade girl, I still did it), Riley's dad's side of the family had a mini-reunion (again, with maximum food selection), I learned the true meaning of giving a gift and all that goes into it, we discovered Max to be a dog with no understanding of the society-imposed cat-dog love-hate relationship and we discovered that sometimes less is more. of course, this is just scratching the surface. I could go on and Roo could paint a similar or completely different picture...but I won't, because I have to get up early for work tomorrow. We hope everyone had an equally enlightening and enjoyable Christmas holiday!

2 comments:

Mrs. Realife said...

Boy do I understand falling (and I mean that literally) back into a routine after a holiday... I L.O.V.E. DVR!!! Um... how did we live without it before?? lol

Thanks for wishing me a Happy Birthday!!

The wife said...

Hope you get back into the swing of things soon and I will be saying prayers for your mom. Please post and let us know how things are when you get lab results back.