Thursday, January 1, 2009

2008 in Review

For obvious reasons, 2008 was a great year. Here is how it looked through her eyes and mine:

Best Meal of 2008
he said: Most holidays are a feast, as are meals at Edisto in July. Mike smoked up a smorgasbord on Christmas day but I get real satisfaction about anything I cook myself. Thanksgiving’s fried turkey was number one, and would rank high on the all time-list.
she said: The chicken salad sandwiches on our snorkeling excursion in Antigua…and Thanksgiving was pretty good too.

Favorite TV Show
he said: The Office
she said: John and Kate plus 8

Trip of 2008
he said: My vote goes for our honeymoon trek to Antigua and nothing can compare.
she said: Nothing tops the trip down the aisle…he wishes he would have thought of that.

Movie of the Year
he said: We saw I am Legend in 2007 at the theater but I bought it on DVD in 2008 and have watched several times on the tv and the iPod. If I hadn’t just bought and watched the Dark Knight a couple weeks ago, Batman may have rendered the Fresh Prince a little less legendary.
she said: Ever thine, Ever mine, Ever Sex and the City.

Favorite Book
he said: Playing for Pizza by John Grisham. Twilight does receive recognition for being the only book in my life, Dr. Seuss aside, that I’ve read in less than a day.
she said: As it should, the Bible played a very significant role in our lives this year. We had a traditional wedding ceremony that included a reading from Papa (Roo’s grandfather). We also joined First Baptist Church.

Song of the Year
he said: Someday We’ll Go All the Way by Eddie Vedder was close, wait next year…
she said: It’s a toss between Bob Marley’s Three Little Birds, which takes me back to Antigua and Journey’s Don’t Stop Believing which will not only be heard anywhere we go with a juke box, but was also the last song played at our reception.

Memorable Moment of the Year
he said: I can close my eyes and nearly feel the sun-stricken warmth of May 14th. Three days before our wedding I was driving down the back roads of South Carolina headed to Hartsville to meet my soon-to-be-bride. It was a long, flat stretch of highway 151, just south of Pageland. I had the windows rolled down and the volume turned up. The sun was shining but it was a warm, not hot, nor humid May Carolina day. And its not the exact moment that is so memorable, but instead the feeling I had that at that moment that means so much to me. I looked forward to the weekend’s wedding, as well as the rest of my life with my wife knowing that everything was as it should be. I am a laidback person, but at that moment, I had not a care in the world, no stress. I was at complete ease and peace. I had achieved nirvana knowing where I was headed, on the road, and more so in my life.
she might have said: Two pictures of Riley capture two very intimate moments of 2008. A normal picture is worth a thousand words but these two pictures are truly priceless. Pre-ceremony, a puffy-eyed Roo is getting a pep talk and making final preps to her appearance with her mom, dad and sister. The moment this picture captures is so simple yet says so much. Similarly, a teary-eyed bride appears to be laughing at a quip from her dad during their first dance. These were Roo's moments and I can't imagine what they mean to her, but I know they were very special.


Honorable Mention Moments
we said: This year, we were blessed in so many ways. It was full of moments that we cherish, moments both big and small that defined the year, strengthened our relationship and will stay with us forever. Those include all aspects of our wedding day, from Jessica’s toast to our evolution of dance. Henry (EJ’s dad) called Riley “Mrs. Johnson” as we sat on the sun porch at the Oak Manor bed and breakfast. It was the first time she was addressed as such. We helped welcome Buxton to the world with friends and proud parents Anna and John. EJ was baptized and also won a softball title at Cherry Park. We hosted a few baby showers for friends, held a star-spangled 4th of July party and hosted Thanksgiving. The annual Edisto trip included a fishing trip that landed a few sharks. We made progress in the home décor department. Though they lost, we had a great time tailgating and taking in the Bears-Panthers game in September. There was so much going on in 2008 that we started blogging!

And with 2009 upon us, we look forward to all of its best of’s. We know that with them will come challenges and it won’t always be easy…but we also know we’ll never face any of it alone.

Happy New Year to all of our friends and family and followers!

10 comments:

Tasha said...

Happy New Year to you both! I have to agree that SATC is the best movie of 2008 ;-)

*Kimmie* said...

What a blessed 2008! And I still adore that you two blog together, so amazing!

Here's to a fabulous 2009!

Anonymous said...

What a great idea!! I love it! I doubt my hubs would participate in a review, though! I enjoyed reading yours!

shalay said...

I love this. You guys are both great writers. I'd love to do something like this on my blog.

The France Family said...

Ok so I am totally copying you! I love this idea!

Anonymous said...

What a great post!!!

Hollie said...

loved this post so much!

super sweet.

happy new year!

Lis said...

Looks like a great year for y'all!!

I also just left you an award on my blog!!

Unknown said...

I am so happy you became a follower on my blog because it led me to yours! I love it! :)

Katy said...

Thank for the blog love. I'm still pretty sad about Poodle Lady. I can't shake her face out of my mind. It's just going to be a sad night.

But to answer your question, yes. I did. I've done a few others too. My design blog is http://katydoodleblog.blogspot.com

Most of it is on there.