Sunday, January 11, 2009

Mom Update

My mom's doctor called with the results of her bone marrow biopsy on New Years Eve. Results we didn't want to hear. 2008 really was going out with a bang... I began to prepare myself mentally for the journey ahead of her, of us, of everyone. A journey of induction chemotherapy, a stem cell transplant, and high dose chemotherapy. Six days later her doctor called with more lab work results and a change in her plan for treatment. My mom's lab work results had improved over previous results and the doctor decided that there wouldn't be a need to begin chemotherapy despite the results of the bone marrow biopsy. We asked ourselves why the doctor didn't have both sets of results on New Years Eve. There was a little confusion but there was also a big sigh of relief. The day will most likely come when we'll be staring in the face of the chemo monster...that time is not now. A prayer was answered.

I've come across several blogs belonging to multiple myeloma patients. Blogs detailing the lives of the people who suffer from this disease. Some of the writers are in the early stages of the disease like my mom and there are others who have been through years of chemotherapy, stem cell transplants, and the list goes on (they're surviving). Reading about their struggles and triumphs has helped me deal with what's happening. I'm thankful for those people. Thankful that those people are brave enough to share their lives with the world and help me have a better understanding of the disease.

In my research of multiple myeloma I came across a website dedicated to helping everyone battling MM - patients, families, friends, caregivers, etc. www.myeloma.org My most recent visit to the site led me to their Mail for the Cure global fundraiser. Mail for the Cure has already raised $70,000. Mail for the Cure involves writing letters and sharing information with people regarding multiple myeloma. I immediately emailed a request for 50 donation envelopes and I'm eager to start mailing my letters with hopes to raise myeloma awareness while raising money to support MM research. If you're interested in making an online donation you can do so here: https://myeloma.org/donation.jsp

Did anyone see Oprah's Spirituality 101 episode last week? Oprah said something that I truly believe was a message meant for me, "I always think everything is happening in your life, no matter how difficult the crisis, to teach you more about who you are, to grow you into who you were really meant to be."


6 comments:

Gwen said...

I am thankful that you received the news you were hoping for!!! I will continue to pray for your mother's healing and continued strenght for you and your entire family. God Bless you all.

Mrs. Realife said...

First, I want you to know that while you may not know any of us (bloggers) personally, you are not alone in this journey -- We'll be here for support --

I'm so glad to hear about the good news of no chemo right now!

I love O and truly believe her statement to be truth... I've walked with this theory a long time -- Have you ever read The Secret?

The wife said...

So glad that you received a second call from the doctor with better news! We'll all keep you in our thoughts and prayers.

Andi said...

I'm sorry to hear about your mom. My mom was diagnosed with MM in October '07. She had back problems that whole summer and the doctors kept saying it was just a strain. She got really sick one weekend and that Monday they finally did an MRI and saw that the MM had turned her Spine into swiss cheese. She was officially diagnosed on my birthday October 1. By the end of January she was in remission from the drugs. In February she had her stemcell transplant and by April she was traveling again. MM is a very serious disease and no one has ever heard of it. Luckily, the treatments they do have are very good. The stemcell transplants can "stick" for decades. Also, with MM if the first transplant doesn't stick, they can do a second one right away.

My mom said the most difficult things were being by herself at night in the hospital and how tired she was.

I hope your mom keeps getting good news from the doctors.

LyndsAU said...

I am so glad you got some good news for your mom. Or at least what you were hoping for!! You and your mom are in my prayers girl!!

Stephanie said...

I am so glad that you got better news than before, but I am sorry for what your mother is having to got through. I will add her to my prayers!!

I love that quote from Oprah. That is perfect, and I am going to steal it from your blog.

I found you through McMommywood btw!