Monday, August 2, 2010

Oh Monday, Monday...

It’s been awhile since I’ve posted anything, not to say we’ve haven’t had much to say…we’ve just been so wrapped up in the gulf oil spill, LeBron James free agency and Lindsay Lohan rehab watch that we haven’t had the time to focus on anything else. But not much has changed since last time. Typical Monday today that’s for sure, after a great weekend celebrating Roo’s birthday and her cousin’s wedding, I don’t want to be at work...and I’ve only been here for an hour. Fairly standard start: report requests needed yesterday that won’t be used for a meeting tomorrow but if I could make them my first priority today “That’d be great” and another lame corporate email reminding everyone that the green-outlined parking spots are for hybrid cars and carpoolers only. Sigh. My only saving grace today is that the Bachelorette is on tonight. No, I’m not quite the fan I used to be circa Trista and Ryan. As each new season passes, I am less intrigued. With each “perfect” match that falls apart, I am less surprised. The more I think about it, the more I believe the show is better suited for the Food Network because it’s the perfect recipe for relationship disaster. Think about it, you take a handful of successful, attractive people and put them into a luxurious mansion. You wine and dine them and fly them around the country and world for a couple months until two of them fall in “love” with each other. Instead, they fall in love with a fantasy lifestyle. I liken the courting session to be about as real as the Real World on MTV. If ABC wants to spawn a truly perfect match for one lucky guy and gal, don’t send them cliff diving in Trinidad and Tobago, put them in a 2 bedroom apartment for a weekend and have one do the taxes while the other does the laundry. Have the guy ruin at least two of her shirts and have her erase last night’s season finale of Entourage off the DVR. Make them eat leftovers for dinner and drink water from the refrigerator instead of caviar and wine. Make the guy go on a date with her after a 10 hour work day instead of 10 hours of lounging by the pool. Make her do her own hair and makeup. But instead, ABC creates an infatuated lifestyle for a couple that can’t sustain once the cameras stop rolling. And yet US Weekly pumps out “shocking” tales of why the storybook couple fell apart. No, I get excited when the Bachelorette comes on because I know I get an hour or two to unwide with the Xbox. Ironically, I am playing NCAA 11, where I created myself as an All-American quarterback for a top 25 program. Speaking of fantasy…

No comments: