Sunday, October 17, 2010

Where were we?

We are a few months into year 3 of our marriage and as you probably didn't notice, the hustle and bustle of everyday life has set in thus we have only updating this blog every month or so. That is not to say we don’t have our share of bumps, thrills, spills and chills worthy of being blogged, we just haven’t been able to keep up with them ourselves let alone share them with the whole wide world web. In an effort to establish a little continuity (like the “previously on” prologue of your favorite TV series) here are the happenings of the past month or so:

Cancer remains kicked for Roo’s mom. We are awaiting the results of the latest routine biopsy but have no reason to believe that the Lord has changed any plans and won’t continue to bless us with positive news. That could be because the Lord is very busy with one of his newer Angels. We sadly lost Roo’s Aunt last month due to an untreatable brain tumor. She is in a better place know but sorely missed. The outpour of support and love that I witnessed while we were in Scattertown for the funeral is a true testament to the importance and significance of family. We had a mini-family reunion on my mom’s side of the family last month, attending my cousin’s wedding in the northwest ‘burbs of Chicago. My dad, sister, brother and sister-in-law came up from Columbia last to attend the Bears-Panthers game last weekend. It was a long day and I’ll leave it at that for now. Hopefully, this short work week goes by fast as, on Thursday, we are headed to Key West, taking Roo’s sister to celebrate her 21st birthday. On the East Coast, the summer’s heat extended itself well into the fall, ruining my fall harvest of okra, tomatoes and watermelon. The key limes I thought I was growing turned out to just be weeds. I spent the entire baseball season wasting my twitter account on the Chicago Cubs. Every day, I dedicated a tweet (and a song) to those lovable losers in the hopes of scripting the soundtrack to a World Series season. I’ll wait til next year before mentioning them again.

Hopefully, we’ll have something new to share with the world before then. I am by no means implying that anyone loses sleep by not being updated on our lives but more so noting that I may be disappointed with myself for not doing so. I know that, in 2010, I have trouble remembering what Roo asked me to also pick up at the grocery store as I walk out the door, moments after she just asked. By 2060, the only way I will probably remember how beautifully in love Riley and I spent this past weekend will be because on one Sunday afternoon with the setting sun at my back and a cool 70 degree breeze in my face, while the dogs sleep at my feet and a cardinal seeks out sunflowers seeds at the feeder, with the faint sounds of a distant lawnmower being drowned out by the barks and shrills of the kids of the cul-de-sac, I remembered to write it down.

3 comments:

Terri said...

Welcome back Johnsons!!!!
Love your blog, so keep the posts a comin'!!! However, I know how hard it is to keep up with blogging amongst everything else.

So glad to hear that Riley's mom is doing well! Also so sorry to hear about her aunt. It is always so bittersweet to lose someone you love to such a terrible disease. Sooo sad, yet glad that they are no longer in pain or suffering. Please pass along my thoughts and prayers. Take care and hope to see you guys soon!

Big Play said...

totally unrelated, but I heard Southwest is starting flights to South Carolina. Greenville/Spartanburg will have flights to Chicago, supposedly a good bit cheaper. thought that might interest you guys.

The Southbay Newlyweds said...

So sorry to hear about your Aunt! Thoughts and prayers with you and your family!