Friday, July 25, 2008

How Did I Live Without You

After almost 60 hours, I couldn't take it anymore. Sometime between our one night stay in downtown Charleston and our week on Edisto Island, I lost my cell phone charger. If I had to narrow it down to a specific, I'd guess the charger went missing sometime between when I packed my bag and when I left the hotel to pick up Riley at her hospital en route to SC-17 towards Savannah. During our vacation, I had to leave my cell phone turned off, only powering up to check voice mail once a day. Back at work, I followed the same practice but the juice could only last so long. Wednesday morning, it was all over. Its really got me thinking...what did we do before cell phones. I was handcuffed to communicating only through land lines. At the beach, I was denied 24-7 access to my fantasy teams or facebook notifications. What did we do before the internet? Next Thursday, the cable guy is coming to connect us to HD service. How did I ever watch TV using mere rabbit ears? Its not hard if you really stop and think how much we take for granted and if not so much take for granted, just completely rely on and also how far we've come. Riley and I have been officially married for 2 months, 8 days and 82 minutes...give or take a score. But the way Riley and I click, and also the way we calamity (yes, I used calamity as a verb) you'd think we've been married for much longer. It feels like longer than 2 months, 8 days and now 84 minutes and maybe that's because I really don't remember what my life was like before Riley. I can't imagine how I ever managed. Not just emotionally, spiritually or dietar-ally but totally. There is so much ahead of us, make no mistake, I have no reason to look back. That's not where this is coming from. What I am saying more so is that I am so appreciative and fortunate to be sitting on the back porch, at our new patio table, waiting on steaks to grill in my smoker, with Max asleep at my feet with my wonderful wife inside, probably flipping between Jeopardy and Entertainment tonight. Next week at this time, when those shows are broadcast in HD, perhaps she'll understand what I am getting at here.

1 comment:

Big Play said...

I completely understand, both in being married for a while now myself and in terms of television. We don't get ESPN anymore, and that means no College Gameday this fall. We might as well be drawing on cave walls with berry-ink.