Monday, December 22, 2008

"Rich is the person who has a praying friend." Janice Hughes

My mom was diagnosed with multiple myeloma two months before our wedding this year. Multiple myeloma is a cancer of plasma cells which attacks and destroys bone. There is no known cure, but it is treatable.
She went through radiation treatments throughout April and May and since then her lab work has not shown cause for further treatment. – until 3 weeks ago. A change in lab work (a change that signifies the disease is progressing) led to a second bone marrow biopsy on Friday. My Aunt Lib and I were able to be in the room during the procedure. I’ll share two things about the procedure: (1) The tool used for the biopsy is about the size of a nail. (2) The woman who did the procedure was a very robust woman and had to use ALL of her robustness (is that even a word?) to drill the nail sized tool into my mom’s hip bone.
We’ll know the results of the biopsy next Tuesday. The biopsy results will determine if we’ll move forward with treatment or continue to monitor lab work on a monthly basis. We’re hoping for the latter.
I share this very personal information with our readers because I am asking for one small favor from each of you. Pray for my mom. Pray for her health. Pray for the doctors who care for her. Pray that the news we hear on Tuesday will be an answer to our prayers. EJ started this blog to share our lives with friends and family. However, we now share our lives with readers across the country who we’ve never met. I have enjoyed getting to know several of you through your own blogs. Those of you who openly share your love for Christ and share your own life struggles are among my favorites. I can only hope that across the miles a few of you will hear my request and pray for my mom. To those of you who do – thank you from the bottom of my heart.


17 comments:

Jessica said...

Hey guys! I haven't commented much on your blog, but am a faithful reader. This just caught my heart and I had to let you know that you definately have my prayers. For you mom, for yall and for the doctors. Please keep us all updated. I'm so sorry that your family is having to go through this.

The Pink Chick said...

I said a special prayer for y'all today, and I will continue to pray for all of you! Please keep us up-dated on your Mom's condition.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear you and your family are having to go through this. I have added your family to my daily prayer list and will pray that everything works out.

Tasha said...

I will be praying for your mom and your family. I hope you get good news when the results come back.

Gwen said...

I am definitely praying. Please keep us updated on the test results. May God bless you & your family. Have a very Merry Christmas.

Kim P said...

Such a hard thing to go through. Sending prayers your way. Praying for good results.

KLC said...

I will pray for your mom and your family. I know how hard cancer can be on the whole family, my dad just went through surgery a few weeks ago to remove prostate cancer. Stay strong.

Katrina said...

I am definitely praying for your mom and your family. MY mom was diagnosed with leukemia my senior year of high school, and praise God she is in remission now, but she is all too familiar with the biopsies, and from what she's said, they are not fun! I hope and pray for Good news! Merry Christmas. =)

Mandy Rose said...

You and your family are in my heart and prayers! Stay strong and remember that God has a plan. You will get through this!!

Anonymous said...

Keeping you guys in my prayers and I hope you hear good news soon.

Lindsay said...

I am so sorry that you and your family are having to go through this, and especially your mom! I can't even imagine! I am definitely keeping you all in my prayers and I pray for good results today!!! PLEASE keep us posted on the results!

Amy said...

ill send good vibes her way! She'll be in my prayers for sure!!!

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry. Bless you and your family, I will keep you in my thoughts.

xoxo
b.e.g.

Belle (from Life of a...) said...

We will continue to remember your mom, you, your family, and those who care for use during this trying time.

Anonymous said...

Praying for your mom! Please keep us updated.

Kerri said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog:-)
Best of luck with your mom and I will pray for your family.

shalay said...

I am so sorry to hear this about your mom. I have experience with multiple myeloma- my grandpa and father-in-law both battled long and hard with this cancer. My husband even wears a multiple myeloma bracelet daily. I will be praying for your mom, and I have faith that a cure will be found for this disease.