Monday, May 9, 2011

EJ and Roo...plus someone new!!!

It’s taken us a few months to be able write this post. And now that we are, I'm not sure I'll ever have all of the words to describe what we are feeling. You see, sometime after I recapped the fall of 2010, Riley and I made a decision that not only has been an underlying theme of our last few months but one that will define the rest of our lives together: We decided it was time to add someone new. Not shortly after we had this talk, I coincidentally received an end-of-season sale code for cubs.com. I made a purchase for the future, waiting til next year as they say in Wrigleyville.

Well, next year is here. By our best estimates, the magic happened on March 11th. Our first pass at pregnancy tests wouldn’t come until early in the week of the 21st . Riley had to be in Atlanta that Monday but the signs were already there. Literally. At a rest stop, she accidentally parked here:

Upon her return to Rock Hill, we took the first early detection pregnancy test. Faint but not nothing:
Is that a positive result? Or an optical illusion. I compared these results to thousands of google images, read hundreds of message boards posts anxiously trying to decipher. I should have just waited until the next morning when she took another test:


Over the next few days, we contained our joy. The only people that knew were us and the lady at Bump (maternity store in Baxter Village); though the cashier at Target had to suspect something considering I had been in a few times for ovulation and pregnancy tests. Ironically or coincidentally, during Sunday school that weekend, Riley sat on “pregnant row” as it was dubbed by our unsuspecting teacher. A few days later, I wasn't driving Riley as crazy as I usually do this time of the month and a week later, a trip to the doctor confirmed the news!

We then felt it was time to share the news with only our immediate family members. While I "tested" the shot for a family photo, instead of asking them to say “CHEESE,” we broke the news by telling everyone to say “Riley’s pregnant” thus capturing the moment.


We insisted on picking up my brother from the airport as he was returning from his 30th birthday trip to London. He was greeted with a "Welcome Home Uncle Philip" sign and responded with an expletive cry of joy. Phone calls to Columbia, SC and Lakeland, Fl followed to share the news with my parents, everyone thrilled and excited, though both sides claimed to be suspicious. We wondered who was at highest risk to leak the news. I nearly hacked my dad’s facebook account to disable it. Riley’s sister was certainly a concern around family. It was impossible to keep the secret from the wedding party in which Riley served as a bridesmaid though one husband thought I had purchased Riley a boob job. Overall, we did a pretty good job keeping the secret safe, despite so many people, including me, wanting to shout it out from the top of a mountain.

“Every good and perfect gift is from above.” – James 1:17"

At about 10 weeks, we had our first ultrasound. I thought I was going to cry when I saw the image appear on the screen. Our little meatball was just wiggling and jiggling around, dancing to the rhythm of that little heartbeat. And the music of that heartbeat made our hearts melt when the doctor amplified it in the room. Everything was in order and we’ll be back in 4 weeks for another routine checkup.

Thus, with the 10 week prenatal visit complete, we’ve gone viral with the news. We announced it with the help of the Wrigley picture above, a couple creative videos and this blog.





We of course broke the news to the dogs as well, though I am not sure they quite understand the changes that are in store. I am not sure we entirely do yet either. Friends with kids say you never will.

We are so happy and so blessed.

6 comments:

lindsay said...

fan-freakin'-tastic! :-) so excited for you guys and LOVE how you broke the news to everybody in your own unique ways. wishing riley a healthy, easy pregnancy!

Mel said...

Congratulations to you both! Such happy news!

Lindsay said...

Congratulations! I'm so happy for you both! Y'all are going to be great parents :)

Diane Griggs said...

Great job on the post. At least you used one of the "calmest photos" of us when the news was broken. Not the one where I was doing summersalts. Love you both.

Paul and Sara said...

yay! one piece of advice. Buy happiest baby on the block. Learn to swaddle! yall dont worry too much. alot of stuff comes natural.

Yalls new blog name "EJ & Roo made a Kangaroo"

Ashli said...

I love the way you broke the news to your family! How funny!

Our dog loved our babies, but she loved the toys even more...

That ultrasound is so much clearer than ten years ago when I had mine, but I will never forget those precious early moments of motherhood. So tender, for some reason my faith really grew while I was carrying my first (and second), and I pray yours will, too!

Congratulations! Love the Star Wars announcement. Are you going to name a "him" Luke so you can say, "Luke, I am your father"?